I have been wanting to make an advent calender the past few Christmas’, but the month is so busy and I never have much time to prepare in November. I’ve always liked the idea of having special treats and a fun activity included as well. This year I was at Jo-Ann’s on Black Friday and happened to see an advent calender for sale and decided, “What the heck”. I picked it up for only $11.99, originally $19.99, plus I used my 25% off coupon they had that day on your whole purchase. Woohoo!
We were in Las Vegas until Saturday so Sunday was the day that I sat down to get ‘er done. I’m glad that I bought the one I did. It was EASY and came together pretty quick, despite the fact that I cut out the shapes to cover the boxes myself. I could’ve used my Silhouette, but I wasn’t sure it would save me all that much time. So, I cut out the shapes by hand and put the stickers on and was done. Easy Peasy!
Here’s a list of what you’ll need for this project:
* Christmas paper pad ( I only used 5 different sheets so you don’t have to buy a whole pad, I just happened to have this one on hand)
* An advent calender box sort of like mine (I got mine at Jo-Ann’s in the crafting section. I think it was by the scrapbooking paper. It’s made by Karen Foster Designs.)
* Number stickers for the days (The advent calender I bought came with a set of stickers in it.)
* Treats to stick in the boxes (I’m not only going to use the M&M’s, but again, that’s what I had on hand. I wasn’t planning on doing this project this year so it is all last minute.)
* A poking device to poke out the negative space on the numbers. I used my rub-ons pen presser. (Does anyone know what that’s called? I have no idea!)
Gather all your supplies and meet me back here…. GO! 🙂
Here’s the 3D advent countdown calender all ready to be made pretty by yours truly.
I cut out all the pieces from different papers. My focus was on green and red, a little blue and beige.
I put the number stickers on next….
Then I started gluing the little pieces of paper to the boxes.
It was really such an easy project and only took me about an hour, maybe a little more or less.
And VOILA! It’s all done and prettified!
I love how simple it is! I thought about putting some more embellishments on it, but then I remembered my kids will be around it and decided against it.
Brynnan, my 7 year old, was VERY eager to open up the first box on Sunday and find the treat that was inside, Mint M&M’s. Mmmmm, those are a MUST in our family, year round! After Christmas I usually stock up on them to eat throughout the year.
I’m so happy I decided to finally make this project. Sometimes, you have to stop over thinking what you’re going to do and trying to make it perfect and just DO IT!
Thanks for stopping by!! I would love it if you would share your advent calender ideas with me!! Leave a link in your comment or send me an email!! (cameramegan(at)gmail(dot)com).
I hope you’ll come back tomorrow! I have another fun Christmasy post for you. My schedule is packed full this month and I’m SO excited about it!! Have a great Wednesday.