Hello everyone!! I’m excited to finally show you this cover that I made for our KitchenAid.First off, though, I bet you’re wondering why this post is called ‘Something Blue’ when the cover is obviously NOT blue! Well, there’s 2 reasons for the post title:
#1 I added a lining to the inside of the cover to make it a bit sturdier. The color of the lining is, can you guess?, blue! 🙂
#2 I am participating in a blog challenge going on right now with a bunch of bloggers. I found out about it from Abby at Just a Girl and Her Blog, my new favorite blog to visit. For the next 16 weeks they are having a weekly theme and on Sundays a link party to link up your projects. This first week is the theme of Something Blue. I love the project that Abby made! SO. ADORBS. 🙂 I have a lot of fun projects planned in the upcoming weeks and for the rest of the year. I am really getting excited to show you them all and I hope I can keep up with all my plans!
Anyway, onto the cover I made… I found the link for it on pinterest, here. I really liked the cover she made, but she didn’t have a tutorial on how she did hers specifically so I just used the link to the About.com tutorial she gave. It was pretty simple and straight forward.
Our kitchen colors are red and a beige-ish green color. It’s a funny green color, depending on the time of day and lighting sometimes it looks more green, sometimes it looks more beige, sometimes it looks like a pukey greenish beige. It’s kind of starting to get on my nerves. I have been wanting to repaint the kitchen for a few months now, but I just don’t have the patience, let alone time to paint so I’ve given up on it. I really like the red, though, so at least I don’t hate the whole kitchen color scheme! 🙂 We bought the house like this and just haven’t changed it.
So, without more rambling, here’s the cover I made:
Here it is looking pretty on the clean counter, which definitely does NOT look like that right now! haha. My kitchen is a hard room to keep clean. My sister in law made me the utensil holders about 10 years ago when my hubs and I were first married. I’ve been thinking I should change them to match my kitchen now, but I kind of like the blue with the red.
Here’s a side view. I wanted to use silver piping, but couldn’t find any so I just made my own. I bought white piping at JoAnn’s and then a silvery sparkly swim suit material to cover the piping. It was kind of a mundane process, but I got it done and I love the way it turned out! 🙂
And her’s the something blue for the challenge. For the inside liner I used a blue fabric. The pattern doesn’t call for an inside liner, but the outside fabric I used wasn’t very heavy so I wanted to make the cover more durable. I knew I wouldn’t use that side so I didn’t put piping on it. I put quilt batting in between the two layers to make it stiffer as well.
Sewing them all together proved to be a little bit trickier than I thought. I had to pull out a LOT of stitches by the time I was all done, but I finally got it done and we have been able to enjoy a dust free KitchenAid for about 2 months now. Yay!!
I’m sorry I haven’t been around much this week. I had hoped to post pictures of our new chore routine, but I haven’t finished it completely yet. I will be back with that on Monday though!
I hope you have a Wonderful Weekend! 🙂 Thanks for stopping by!